Friday, November 04, 2011

east village bakery & orchid update


east village bakery bread 001

Good morning! I am having such a nice relaxing Friday (my day off) so far this morning. It's a beautiful sunny and crisp autumn day in Vancouver and I'm just enjoying a little cup of chai and some toast with tomato slices.

A few days ago I went to go check out a new-ish bakery to my neighbourhood, East Village Bakery. A small little shop baking throughout the day, serving the local Hastings residents, East Village offers your choice of hearty, whole grain breads, and decadent tarts and pastries. Have I mentioned that I love living in a neighbourhood and city that cares so deeply about good food?!


(Okay so I still think the Tartine loaf looks a little tastier, but I liked the similarity between the two loaves.)
east village bakery bread 002







Remember this orchid? It is blooming along very happily. As much as I love plain old foliage, flowering plants really do bring such unexpected brightness to the home. I hope you have a great Friday!

wild orchid blooming

7 comments:

Lotte Janssens said...

the bread looks great, and so nice to hear your orchid is doing good.
Happy weekend

Mary Hudson said...

Thanks Lotte! The orchid is doing so well and I can't really take any credit for it — it just does it all on its own.
Happy weekend to you too!

elizabeth said...

Well, good that I know you have that book so I don't buy it for you. Does Tartine just brush their bread with an egg wash? How do they make it look so shiny and crisp and delicious?

Mary Hudson said...

(I think you saw the book when you were here? Or maybe that was Super Natural Everyday (which I also have)) Also I haven't tried making the bread yet, so I don't know all the secrets, but man I would love to drive down to California and taste some.

Pinecone Camp said...

I think I like the loaf you bought! Looks so good. Must head to that bakery! Hope all is well Mary.

Hermine - Journal de jours said...

I'm so so happy that I've discovered your blog. Really lovely.

Mary Hudson said...

Thank you Hermine, that's very nice of you!