Thursday, May 26, 2011

ricotta filled banana walnut muffins


ricotta banana walnut muffins 001


Good morning! I cannot tell you why on earth I am doing so much baking when I don't have someone here to eat the lion's share for me. It's dangerous business... I think most of these will have to go into the freezer for a couple weeks.

These muffins were inspired by some you can find at Little Nest Cafe, as well as other bakeries around town. I had a lot of ricotta sitting in my fridge that I needed to use up, so I figured I would give the filled muffins a try and it worked out great!

ricotta banana walnut muffins 002



Ricotta filled Banana, Walnut Muffins

Ingredients

5 over-ripe bananas
1/2 cup melted butter or canola oil (I used half oil, half butter because that was exactly all I had left in my house)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla

1/2 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1 & 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose, unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 cup chopped walnuts, plus more for topping
6 ounces chocolate, coarsely chopped
3-6 tablespoons ricotta cheese


In a small bowl mix the rolled oats and yogurt together. Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease or line 16 muffin tin cups. In a medium sized bowl mix together all your remaining dry ingredients. Mash your bananas, or beat in a standing mixer with the paddle attachment. Add your butter, eggs, and sugar and beat well. Beat in you vanilla. Add your yogurt and oats, and your dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. With a spoon fold in your chocolate and walnuts.

Fill your muffin tins half full with your batter. Spoon half a rounded teaspoon of ricotta (up to a full teaspoon, depending on your tastes, but be careful to not touch the edges of the tin with the ricotta) onto the middle of each muffin. Fill the muffin tins all the way full with your remaining batter and top with the rest of your chopped walnuts. Bake for 25-30 minutes.


The surprise ricotta in the middle would probably be really good with a spice stirred into it as well — if you try it, let me know how it turns out!




ricotta banana walnut muffins 003


ricotta banana walnut muffins 004

4 comments:

vulnerablepulp.com said...

these look delicious!

Mary Hudson said...

Thanks! They are a really great muffin with or without the ricotta, but it's fun to try something new.

Lotte Janssens said...

this looks good !

Mary Hudson said...

Thanks Lotte! I've been enjoying them for breakfast this week.