Sunday, May 08, 2011

rhubarb, strawberry, and almond crisp


rhubarb strawberry almond crisp 001


Happy Mother's Day Mom. If I could bring this crisp to you, I would.

My breakfasts the last couple weeks have been the same thing everyday: plain yogurt with a handful of almonds, freshly sliced, a few pepitas, and a banana cut up. It gets the job done. But last week I saw some rhubarb calling my name at the grocery co-op and figured it was time for a seasonal change.

Those people that act as though fruit crisps are a dessert and should not be consumed for breakfast are crazy — they make such a good breakfast. Serve with a little yogurt, a cup of tea, and you're good to go.

Rhubarb and Strawberry Crisp, with Almonds, Walnuts, Pepitas, and Flax

{I didn't exactly measure how much fruit I used - but it fills a regular 9" pie plate, adjust as necessary}
3-4 cups rhubarb, cleaned and chopped into 2cm pieces (see note above)
2 cups strawberries, quartered (I still had some frozen ones to use up, but by all means, use fresh)
1 green apple, cored and chopped into 2cm pieces
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon sugar

For the topping:
3/4 cup freshly ground almonds (I use a little nut and spice grinder, which doubles as my coffee grinder, and I just quickly pulsed it so there were lots of lumps left)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup pepitas
1/4 cup flax seeds (grind these a little too)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375°F. Throw your fruit into your buttered baking dish of choice and toss with the cornstarch and sugar. In a separate bowl, mix together nuts, seeds, oats, sugar and butter. Using your hands, crumble onto the top of your fruit, creating little lumps as you go. Bake for 45 minutes or until lightly brown and juices are bubbling at the edges. Allow to sit a while before serving.

I made this last night and had a little just before bed, still warm from the oven, and it was so good just on its own. Bring some to your mom.




rhubarb strawberry almond crisp 002











rhubarb strawberry almond crisp 003






rhubarb strawberry almond crisp 004

6 comments:

Pinecone Camp said...

Mary, that looks fantastic. I want some now.

Mary Hudson said...

Thanks Janis! It's something I'll never get sick of... in moderation.

Matryoshka said...

I love rhubarb...can't wait for it to be growing all over the city again.

HELENA BESLIC said...

This looks extremely yummy I copied the recipe and will be trying it FOR SURE!!! your photographs on all your posts are breathtaking!!! Miss you

Lotte Janssens said...

this looks very good !

Mary Hudson said...

Thank you everyone!