Tuesday, March 15, 2011

life improvements through healthy eating: part 2


nuts seeds books eating healthy 001


I'm really trying to pay attention to what goes into my body these days. I don't particularly believe in removing things I enjoy from my diet, but rather trying to fill up on the things I know are good for me. Once you add in all the extra good-for-you foods, there isn't a lot of room left for empty sugars. I try to cook for myself as much as I can to avoid additives, sugars, sodium, and preservatives, but it's easy for me to just want cheese all the time and to forget about the many nutrients my body needs. Some foods I have been focusing on adding to my day-to-day diet include:


Nuts and seeds. So easy to incorporate in and they are so filling, full of good fats and fibre - yum. I like to add peanuts or cashews to sauteed greens; walnuts are great with breakfast and pastas (and in chili - super nut!); lightly ground flax is an easy addition to baking; sunflower and pumpkin seeds are my go-to for salads; pistachios are nice in curries, the list goes on.

nuts seeds books eating healthy 002













oats books eating healthy 001

Oats! I've been reading lots lately about whole grains. I know some people prefer to leave certain grains out of their diet entirely, but personally I am focusing on making my diet entirely whole grains and sprouted grains. I still haven't started eating oatmeal in the morning, but I hope to start next week. Right now I make quick oat bread, granola bars, oat muffins, and oat cookies. I always crave a cookie or something sweet in the afternoon, especially if I try to deprive myself of it, but if I bring a small homemade cookie with my lunch, the problem is solved — I save money that way and can also control what is in the cookie.


oats books eating healthy 003


oats books eating healthy 002








lentils books eating healthy 001


Next up is lentils. I really need to work on eating more beans and lentils. I probably eat them about once a week, at best, right now, but it would be nice to get that to 2 or 3 servings a week.

lentils books eating healthy 002

lentils books eating healthy 003








brown eggs books eating healthy 001

Pure and natural protein sources (at least in my opinion). I love eggs and I make them when I have time, but making them a regular weekly routine would be the ideal. They are such a delicious and easy and cheap source of nutrients, it just makes perfect sense.

brown eggs books eating healthy 002











brown eggs green books eating healthy 003

I'm adding to my diet as I go... do you have anything you have started doing that has made you feel great? Or maybe something you want to try?

7 comments:

elizabeth said...

Since we moved to Montreal we always have maple syrup in the house. I find I crave something sweet after dinner these days and having a tablespoon of maple syrup (or molasses which is also usually on hand) makes both my brain and body happy.

I'm the opposite of you, I eat lentils and oatmeal almost everyday - it's the quantity and variety of veggies I need to work on.

Also, regarding eating and denial, I recently heard a French chef state that one should eat the very best (cheese, pastries, vegetables, etc) every day in small quantities. Sounds yummy to me.

Matryoshka said...

If you keep photographing everything in the cutest way possible I doubt you'll have trouble eating better!

I too, follow the very best in small quantities thought; it's the only thing that's worked for me!

Mary Hudson said...

Haha! That's the idea - make it look as good as in the magazines, like something you really want to eat, and there will be no trouble. I agree with you both on having little bits of what you love. Keeping dark chocolate and popcorn around the house are some other things that help my cravings.

Clayton Ward said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Genevieve said...

you're a good girl. i've started drinking more water too after your post. there isn't much room for wine after all the water, which is a good thing. i forgot that it is normal to pee like 6 times a day.

Chickadee said...

Good for you, Mary! I eat oatmeal mixed with sunnyboy every morning- I just make a big pot at the beginning of every week and then reheat it. It's easy, nutritious and leaves me nice and full all morning. Oats are also apparently supposed to lower cholesterol! If you want Nana's porridge proportions I can send them over.

Mary Hudson said...

Yes please! I'd love to have it. I've been eating homemade granola bars all week because I was so excited to find quinoa puffs at the store. Still, there is a lot of sugar in granola bars, plain old oatmeal would be nice.
xx