Tuesday, January 18, 2011

baking: cheddar jalapeno scones for a savory breakfast

cheddar jalapeno scones 002


As much as I enjoy granola for breakfast (and homemade granola bars, and pancakes) I am really more of a savory gal. I felt the need on my day off yesterday to make something and this recipe popped into my head. I'm not really a huge scone fan, so I can't tell you if they are a good scone or not, but I can tell you they are delicious and I am already planning more healthy additions for the next time I make them.




cheddar jalapeno scones 001


Savory Jalapeno Cheddar Scones, adapted from Smitten Kitchen

1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 quick oats
1/4 cup plain, non-fat yogurt
1/4 cup, plus 2 Tbsp skim milk
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (originally called for 1 teaspoon, but I found this too salty with the cheese)
8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) cold butter, diced
2 eggs
1/4 pound sharp cheddar cheese, diced into pea-sized pieces*
2 small jalapeno peppers, most of the seeds removed, minced
1 shallot, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 sprigs fresh parsley, finely chopped

*I don't know how much cheese this is. I just cut some cheese into small cubes, which ended up measuring almost a cup. I used an old cheddar (yep, the orange kind) but next time I think I would use one that is a little sharper, and therefore also use less cheese.

Combine oats in a small bowl, add yogurt, milk and brown sugar. Stir and set aside. Preheat oven to 400°F.

In a small skillet melt one tablespoon butter over medium-low heat. Add minced shallot and cook until almost translucent. Stir in jalapenos and garlic and cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring to avoid burning. Remove from heat and let cool, then combine with cheese in a small bowl and coat with one tablespoon flour. Set aside. Combine the remaining flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the remaining butter with a pastry blender or two knives until the butter bits are pea-sized.

Lightly whisk the eggs and combine with the mixture of yogurt, milk, and oats. Add this egg, milk, and oat mixture to the flour-butter mixture. Using a wooden spoon, fold mixture until it begins to come together. Add the cheddar jalapeno mixture and parsley to the dough and mix just enough until everything is incorporated.

Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead gently for less than one minute. Pat dough out to a 3/4-1" thickness and cut into triangles, or with a biscuit cutter. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Best eaten warm and within 24 hours. I flash-froze half of them, as recommended by Smitten Kitchen, to be cooked in the future.


cheddar jalapeno scones 003

cheddar jalapeno scones 004

cheddar jalapeno scones 005

Oh and I updated my post on tortilla soup, adding in the recipe, so go check that out if you were curious.

8 comments:

elizabeth said...

I am hungry. Feed me.

Mary Hudson said...

i would gladly feed you! anytime....does express post work for food?

Genevieve said...

i am sooo making these tomorrow for breakfast. thanks

Mary Hudson said...

You will not regret it Genevieve! They are so cheesy and a little bit of shallots and garlic. Perfect breakfast, with a bowl of yogurt on the side.

Genevieve said...

omg am i dumb? is the sugar and oats and yogurt for eating on the side? because at the end i just added it into the dough, i was like" when the hell do you add the yogurt?" i actually made a separate trip to the corner store because i forgot to buy the yogurt.....

Mary Hudson said...

No! you're not dumb. Allow me to fix that for you. I was sort of reading off of the recipe I had followed and at the same time trying to remember all the adjustments I had made. I already felt like it was too much pressure, and clearly it was. But thanks for making them and fixing my recipe!

Mary Hudson said...

Oh, also instead of using yogurt AND milk, you could probably just use buttermilk, but I would probably use 1/2 cup total. Personally I wouldn't know what to do with so much buttermilk left in my fridge (other than pancakes!) so I used yogurt and skim milk.

Genevieve said...

they were delicious thank you for the recipe!