Thursday, December 02, 2010

chili weather



chili 002

I was super proud of myself this week. On Monday night I made a huge pot of chili and froze eight individual sized servings for Joseph and I to take for lunches. It's the most organized I have been in ages. I'm not going to post how to make chili because I'm sure we all have our own recipes, but what is worth sharing is my mom's oatmeal quick-bread. When I was living at home my mom would make this to go along side hearty soups, but it's fantastic with chili and stews too.

A little sweet with crispy cheddar on top and takes very little effort and very little time to prepare (compared to conventional breads).





chili 001

Oatmeal quick-bread with cheddar:

1 cup rolled oats
1 1/4 cup soured milk
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups sifted flour (I used whole wheat flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup grated cheddar

To sour milk add one cup milk to 1 tablespoon white vinegar. Combine oats and sour milk in a bowl and let stand 30 minutes. Grease a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish well. Heat oven to 350°F.
Beat sugar, egg, and oil and stir into the oat mixture. Sift together dry ingredients and add to oat mixture, stir. Turn into the casserole dish and sprinkle cheese over the top. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean -- about 55 minutes. Cool in casserole dish 10 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack. 

{you should be smart and eat the bread warm with a bit of butter}

2 comments:

Fleurish said...

I am super excited about this bread i'm going to make it very soon. It all looks so delicious!

elizabeth said...

This is one of my favorite breads. I remember cooking it in a large coffee tin when I was in University and then basically just eating the whole thing. I should make it soon - it's been a long time.